Tarenbee was originally Saint Paul's German Evangelical Lutheran Church founded by the Rev. J. George Amschler.
The chapel was completed in 1889 by contractors Shoop and Bartsch. The congregation shared facilities with Grace Church until 1913 when Grace moved into a nearby chapel.
Records show the cornerstone includes a Bible, hymn book, a selection of small coins, a sketch of the church, and a bundle of German documents among other things.
Rev Amschler served the church for 42 years.
Tarenbee has restored many of the original features including the stained glass windows, pipe organ, hemlock floor, and rock walls.